Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Edens Indigo

Indy was born on the 3/11/95 in the wee hours of the morning at Eden Warmbloods the home of his daddy.I had leased a mare from Eden Warmbloods (Blue or Regal Rose) & had had her with me throughout her pregnancy.Two weeks before Indy was born the blood vessels in her eyes burst & I freaked out & decided she shoild go back for the birth.Thank god I decided this as Indy was unwell when born & had to be force fed & have enemas for the first week of his life.I got Blue & Indy back 3 weeks later.All went well untill Indy was 3 months old & got his head stuck in a fence & broke his mandable & smashed in his forhead.He still bares the scars from that incident to this day.At 6 months Indy fell in the paddock & damaged a ligament seeing him having to be stabled 24/7 for 6 weeks.What a nightmare that was.Well yes our first year was a disaster but we developed a strong bond through it all(though not without me wondering if it was all worth it).At 3years Indy went to Mike Donaldson to be backed & Mike thought he was a superstar which was encouraging.During this time I did a couple of in-hand shows for which he got Champion Junior Sporthorse at Helensville A&P on his 1st outing & did really well at Kumeu A&P with a couple of firsts & seconds but missed out on the champion as the judge felt he was too small. I might tell you that now hes grown he is 15.1hh & bay.The next time we showed he was Reserve Champion as a Senior Sporthorse at Helensville A&P.That then ended Indy show career as by this time we were starting to realize that he couldnt handle pressure under saddle.Schooling at home he was a star working up to Elementary level & popular with Lockie Richards.Lockie used him in a photo shoot for a magazine article he did about lunging.I also clinicd with Edgar Ligdwark (Sp?) from Australia on several ogasions and he also liked Indy.As the years rolled on I started to get a bit dishalusioned(SP?) with Indy & his inconsistencies so I turned to natural horsemanship.I chose to do Parelli with him & Indy was a star again (finally).He took to NH like a duck to water & people loved him again (friends at this stage had thought he was a moron).Indy now lives a cruisey life here with me on my farm .Every morning he sees me he calls to me & often nickers from his yard as I garden or potter around.He is very, very special to me & though he didnt turn into my dressage wonder-horse & still drives me nuts by getting into everything & anything left laying around(hes eaten heaps of sponges & has been known to drink buckets of Vetadine) he has a home for life.PS Did I tell you hes a spunk to look at?